The Mechanicsburg Public Library was first located at the Mechanicsburg Exempted Village Schools. It had several locations before a building was constructed just for the library. The land came to the library as part of an agreement with the owners of the Slayton Memorial Library collection. The books in that collection were combined with those of the Mechanicsburg Public Library to make them easier for the public to borrow. There are three parts to the present library building at 60 South Main Street. The first part was dedicated in 1940 and honors Joseph E. Wing. The second part is called the Henry Clay Rogers Room and was completed in 1953. The third part was added in 1993 to make the building you see now.
1935 Mechanicsburg Public Library begins at the school under the supervision of Superintendent Bert Highlands
1935 (September 7) rented Boutwell Building and consolidated book collections with Slayton Memorial Library formerly located and owned by Church of Our Savior (Episcopal)
1940 (October 13) dedication of Joseph E. Wing Memorial Library Building
1949 gift from estate of Henry Clay Rogers for building addition
1953 Rogers addition completed
1993 newest addition is completed to make a total of 5,004 square feet on the ground floor and 1, 780 square feet of basement space.